Friday, June 8, 2012

Grade 11 - CAS Reflection

My first year in the IB Diploma programme has been a great blend of academics and co-curricular activities. I have taken part in a variety of activities adhering to the CAS programme and have gained experience to further develop in these spheres in my final IB year, i.e. Grade 12. The activities I participated in this year share three common achievements of mine. These are punctuality, commitment and perseverance towards the objective, and becoming aware of my own strengths and areas of growth.

In the Creativity aspect of the programme, I have now spent approximately 8 months learning to play an acoustic guitar. With a few overlaps and blends, my knowledge is divided into two parts. These are: using chords accompanied with different techniques of strumming to play any type of music, and using chord progressions and music tabs to play classical notations. I have excelled to an extent such that I have become an independent player. However, I have yet to become a good classical notation reader and a fluent player of classical notations using plucking techniques. At many instances I have learnt from my younger brother who has a 4-5 year experience in playing guitar. Thus, with the help of collaboration at instances, I have developed many skills in this new hobby (also passion) of mine. The most challenging experience for me was to take part in multiple team performances during a class programme in the Russian Cultural Center. I will practice more during the summer vacation and will aim to take part in more programs to gain both, experience of playing in front of a crowd as well as confidence in my skills.

Action has been the main highlight for me this year. I have attended a one hour session every Saturday morning followed by a two hour session on Sunday mornings. These have not only helped me to become a better player, but also a better sportsman with more understanding of the sport. I, in collaboration with other players, helped in organizing these sessions gaining experience of planning and initiating activities useful for my future. In this time, I have learnt mental strategies as well as useful techniques for offence from other more-experienced players. I wish to be able to exhibit my skills soon by either joining the school SAISA team or by taking part in other competitions. In addition to this, I have been attending swimming sessions (at least 2 per month) as a moderate swimmer at the Thurstan College swimming complex. It has also been an overall success as I have increased my stamina in both stroke swimming and underwater swimming, and achieved my main goal.

The final part of the CAS programme, i.e. Service, went very well too. I took part in the school's Library Service activity for the complete year. I became a co-leader for the activity in Semester 2 and was quite successful in guiding my team of 'Guardians of the library' to success with the ethical implications of our actions in mind.

I feel that all the broad objectives I set in the beginning of the year have been achieved even though a few minor tasks were unsuccessful due to time constraints and other issues (such as taking part in the Badminton after school activity was not possible due to transport problem). It has been a successful year in terms of CAS and I hope to extend my co-curricular base next year by broadening my boundaries, and showcasing my experience in events and competitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment